Saturday, November 12, 2011

Breakfast time ? It's poffertjes time

(Homemade) - Poffertjes with strawberry jam filling

(Homemade) - Poffertjes with strawberry jam filling

 
My mum gave her poffertjes pan to me ! Yippiieee.... She likes to buy things she doesn't really need. And after that, those things she bought still remain in the box for years without ever being used. Not even once ! I think this was my luck, I want to make poffertjes but I don't have the pan and my mum give it to me. Alhamdulilah....


I already posted a recipe of Indonesian thick pancake (click here) and now the famous Dutch mini pancakes take control. Poffertjes usually served hot with powdered sugar and butter. I did some research on google about the shape of Dutch poffertjes. Is it ball-shaped or like a mini pancake ? I ended up with a conclusion that Dutch poffertjes are not in ball-shaped. *cmiiw

I had so much fun making poffertjes. I enjoyed the process of shaping the poffertjes into balls (it's the best part) ! :D At first, I overwhelmed with how to do it right. Some poffertjes from my first attempt were almost sphere-shaped. But they had mouth wide open on one side :D Just like someone laughing and you can see the inside.


Poffertjes with strawberry jam filling

Ingredients :
- 250 gr all purpose flour
- 75 gr caster sugar
- 1 tsp instant yeast 
- 3 eggs
- 400 ml fresh milk
- 50 gr butter, melted
- 1/4 tsp salt
- strawberry jam for the filling
- powdered sugar for dusting


(Homemade) - Poffertjes with strawberry jam filling

How to :

1. Mix flour, sugar and instant yeast in a bowl. Set aside. 
2. Heat the milk until lukewarm. Remove from the heat, set aside. Beat eggs. Pour milk, mix well.
3. Make a hole in the flour, pour the egg mixture. Stir it all together. Make sure there are no lumps int the batter. 
4. Add melted butter and salt. Stir to give the batter the desired consistency. 
5. Let the dough sit for 30 minute.
6. Preheat the poffertjes pan and lightly grease with butter.
7. Fill them only halfway or less with the batter. Filled with strawberry jam. Pour more batter over the pan. Let the poffertjes cook for while until the bottom has started to harden. Use bamboo stick or bamboo skewer to turn them around. Pierce the poffertjes with the skewer and use a circular scooping motion to roughly flip the half-ball over, so that the uncooked batter flows out into the mold to form a ball. Don't forget to turn them around for several time until cooked and until golden brown color.
8. Transfer onto a serving plate, dust with powdered sugar on top.Serve hot !


Note : The recipe in Bahasa Indonesia is here. I used exactly the same ingredients, except for the filling. I changed the cheddar cheese with strawberry jam.

Enjoy....

3 comments:

  1. They look so tempting! A divine treat. Wonderful and refined presentation as well as beautiful clicks.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful and Poffertjes looks super tasty!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking time to leave comment on my post. I will respond as soon as I can.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...